I've read a few disturbing articles as of late, namely:
- Bow Down to the Yoga Teacher - Newsweek
- The Overheated, Oversexed Cult of Bikram Choudhury - Details
I have scads of experience with ego. As a practitioner and eternal student, I am challenged by my own each and every day, on and off the mat. It is quiet, personal; there is determination present. However, this movement of certain teachers toward achieving and believing their own "celebrity" status is repugnant.
The whole of this makes me want to bust a few yogic caps in the collective asana. So here I am, stocked up to the sirsa with ammo, guns blazing.
Yanking the Ego out of Yoga:
- Guru means teacher. It does not mean holier than thou, more vast than the universe, and deeper than the black hole. To think being a teacher makes you untouchable and godlike really just confirms that you're an ass...hole.
- If you were truly tapped in and pranically plentiful, there would be no need for pomp, circumstance, and a dramatic class entrance. You'd understand that you are the container to hold your students, to uplift + elevate, and your brilliant energy would naturally be everywhere.
- If you're telling me, directly or indirectly, that the most important thing about yoga is that it induces weight loss, perhaps we should work together on increasing your brain mass. And filling your shallow persona pool.
- Some of you have transparent dreams of being superawesomelyfamous actors and actresses. That's fine, but don't make teaching yoga your route thereto. That's blasphemy of the worst kind — like pissing in the mouths of those dying of thirst.
- I didn't come to class to hear you belt out an aria which sounds more Chicago than chant. Take off your headset, ditch the bling, shut your mouth, open your ears and heart, and let's do this. Elvis has left the
- To the spiritually bereft masquerading as peeps bringing love and spirit power to the yoga people, you will likely be called on your shit. Loudly, passionately, and intelligently. I am honored to know some seriously badass yogis and yoginis who possess wonderfully strong voices. Some people cannot and will not be fooled.
- F*cking your students is like f*cking yourself. And nobody wants that. Stop being a f*cker.
Let us bring an end to the strokefest by not providing ego lubrication.
Mad love to all the teachers doin' the damn thing with grace, humility, surrender, and the spirit of offering.